Safe Exam Browser
When configuring a quiz or exam in Moodle, in the Safe Exam Browser section of the settings page, ITS recommends always choosing “Yes – Use an existing template” for the “Require the use of Safe Exam Browser” setting. If any of your students will be taking the exam using a personal or loaner device either remote or in person, please choose “Lab & Remote Default” for the template choice.
Enabling Safe Exam Browser for a Moodle exam:
Safe Exam Browser is available in some AU computer labs. Please note, even if students won’t use labs for the exam, you’ll still want to choose the “Lab & Remote Default” template.
- When adding a quiz, expand the “Safe Exam Browser” heading on the settings page.
- Toggle “Require use of Safe Exam Browser” to “Yes – Use an existing template”.
- Choose the “Lab & Remote Default” template, even if students will be taking the exam in person.
- If all students will take the exam in a lab setting, toggle “Show Safe Exam Browser download button” to “No”. If students will be taking the exam on personal or loaner devices either in person or remotely, leave the download button enabled.
The “Lab & Remote Default” template has the following settings defined:
- Show taskbar – True
- Show wireless controls – False
- Show reload button – True
- Show time – True
- Show audio controls – True
- Allow spell check – False
- Force private clipboard (macOS setting) - True
Should your exam require different settings, please contact ITS to request a new template.
Safe Exam Browser will already be installed on the lab machine. When accessing the quiz/exam, students will click “Download Configuration” to save the exam config file. Double-clicking this file will launch Safe Exam Browser and take students to Moodle where they can log in and navigate to the exam.
- When students navigate to the exam in Moodle, they will see the following page:
- The “Download Safe Exam Browser” button will take students to https://safeexambrowser.org/download_en.html to download the program for Windows or macOS.
- Once students select the correct version for their OS, they will be redirected to where the file is hosted and the download will start automatically.
- Once installed, students can return to Moodle and select “Download Configuration”. Selecting that file from the download list or double clicking it will launch SEB with the settings defined in the config file.