Terms and Conditions
The purpose of this policy is to define the method, process, terms and conditions for students of Aurora University to obtain, on a temporary basis, a laptop (“Loaner Equipment”) for the purpose of attending classes and completing academic activities. The term of each loaner period shall be limited to one academic semester. Extensions are available upon request.
The Loaner Equipment and any installed software or ancillary devices are, at all times, the exclusive property of Aurora University and must be returned to Aurora University Information Technology Services (“ITS”) at the end of the loaner period (or immediately upon withdrawal/termination from the university) in the same condition as when originally loaned to the Eligible User, normal wear and tear notwithstanding.
Eligible Users: All Registered Students of Aurora University.
Eligible Uses: Loaner Equipment is available during regular school semesters and only for the purpose of customary academic activities.
Loan Period: Loaner Equipment may be borrowed for a period of up to an entire single semester. Under no circumstances will ITS permit Loaner Equipment to remain with an Eligible User for longer than the semester that the Loaner Equipment was issued without prior written consent.
Returns: Eligible Users shall return Loaner Equipment to an ITS representative in Dunham Hall by 5:00 p.m. on the last Friday of the semester that the Loaner Equipment was issued. Any Eligible User who does not do so within the agreed-upon period will be charged $1,200 for the cost of replacement equipment to their student account. Eligible Users accept full financial responsibility if the Loaner Equipment and/or any associated items are missing or damaged upon their return.
Loss, Theft, or Damage: Eligible Users are responsible for notifying ITS immediately in the event that Loaner Equipment is lost, stolen, or damaged. Eligible Users agree to not attempt repairs of Loaner Equipment or to allow any other third party to attempt repair. Damaged Loaner Equipment must be returned to ITS for inspection and repair. Any Eligible User who damages or loses the Loaner Equipment is responsible for the cost to replace or repair the Loaner Equipment and will incur a charge to their student account. Depending upon the circumstances of loss or damage, Eligible Users may lose future Loaner Equipment privileges.
Agreement: Each Eligible User must sign the Loaner Agreement Form indicating consent to all terms and conditions including Acceptable Use before taking custody of any Loaner Equipment.
Acceptable Use Policy: By signing the Loaner Agreement Form and accepting Loaner Equipment, Eligible Users acknowledge that Loaner Equipment is the property of Aurora University. As such, Aurora University limits the use of such Loaner Equipment to those activities that are consistent with Aurora University learning. Any damage to such Loaner Equipment resulting from Unacceptable Use shall be the Eligible User's full financial responsibility and result in the immediate loss of Loaner Equipment privileges. Unacceptable Use are those uses of Loaner Equipment that are not for the purpose of learning related to university coursework and includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Running or installing any piece of software on any Loaner Equipment, whether intentionally or unintentionally, without prior written authorization from ITS.
- Storing personal information on Loaner Equipment. All files will be deleted upon the return of Loaner Equipment and will not be retrieved. The university is not liable for the loss of Eligible User personal data.
- Storing of confidential or personally identifiable information including but not limited to Social Security Numbers, phone numbers, addresses, date of birth records, and/or bank account or other financial records.
- Leaving Loaner Equipment in an unsecured location subject to theft or in a location that is not temperature controlled for extended periods of time.
- Making unauthorized alterations of the security or configuration of any Loaner Equipment.
- Allowing anyone other than the Eligible User assigned to the Loaner Equipment to use such equipment.
- Using Loaner Equipment to gain unauthorized access to remote systems or attempt to circumvent any security protections or authentication systems of any individual or organization.
- Using Loaner Equipment for personal financial gain including employment for any party other than Aurora University.
- Using Loaner Equipment in a manner that would constitute harassment, invasion of privacy, threat, defamation, or intimidation.
Placing any of the following types of information or software on Loaner Equipment:
- Material which infringes upon the rights of another person or organization.
- Abusive, profane, or sexually offensive material.
- Pirated software, destructive software, pornographic materials, libelous statements, or any material which may be injurious to another.
- Advertisements for commercial purposes.
- Threatening, libelous, or offensive messages.
- Playing and/or installing any gaming on Loaner Equipment, unless such game is instructional and has been specifically approved by ITS.
- Connecting to websites related to sex, illegal drugs, criminal skills, hate speech, online gambling, or other sites not consistent with Aurora University's mission and/or learning.
For questions regarding the Aurora University Loaner Equipment Program, please contact Information Technology Services:
Information Technology Services
630-844-5790 | email@example.com
Dunham Hall Room 010
1400 Marseillaise Place
Aurora, IL 60506