Creating a Quiz:
From your Moodle shell, click the gear icon toward the top right and choose “Turn editing on”.
Scroll down to the proper week and in the bottom right corner of the box representing the week, click "Add and activity or resource"
Select "Quiz" from the menu on the left and click "Add" at the bottom of the window
A settings page will appear. Here you may edit the settings of the quiz to your liking. Please read Click Here! for a thorough explanation of each setting.
We highly suggest modifying the "When time expires" setting in the "Timing" section of the quiz settings to "Open Attempts are submitted automatically." This will prevent a student from losing their progress if their test session times out or if they run out of time to take the quiz.
When you have finished editing the settings of the quiz, you may click "Save and display" at the bottom of the page
You will now see the quiz. Click "Edit quiz" in the center
You will see a list of questions. If there are none, or you would like to create more, click "Add" in the bottom right and select "a new question". For information on using previously created questions or using random questions, please Click Here! to read Moodle's documentation.
You will be asked to select the type of question. For brevity, we will continue this tutorial with the "Multiple Choice" question type. For more information on question types, Click Here!
Once you have selected the question type, click "Add"
Here you will create a question. Please edit the settings to best match your question.
- Select the question category
- Give the question a descriptive name. You'll use the name to track your questions later so "Question 1" isn't a good idea. The name will be used in the question lists on the quiz editing page or in the lesson as a page title. It will not be shown to the students, so you can choose any name that makes sense to you and possibly other teachers.
- Create the question text. If you're using the HTML Editor, you can format the question just like a word processing document.
- Select an image to display if you want to add a picture to the question. The available images are those you have uploaded to the main Moodle files area (they cannot be in folders). For the student, the image appears immediately after the question text and before the answer options.
- Alternatively, if you used the HTML editor to create the question text, you can click the image icon. This will pop up the Insert Image window. You can choose to upload an image into your files area from this window, or you can add the URL of an image on the web. If you add a file to your files area, click the name of the file after you upload it to insert the link into the URL text entry at the top of the screen. Then click OK.
- Be aware that if you allow multiple answers and have more than a single correct choice, and do not use a negative grade percentage for wrong answers, the students can simply tick all choices and get the full grade.
Repeat steps 7, 8 and 9 for each question in your Quiz/Exam
When you have finished, double-check the "Maximum grade" field in the top right and click "Save"
Congratulations! You have now created a Quiz in Moodle!
To see the grades once students have done your quiz, you can either:
- Click the quiz itself and then the link 'Attempts =' (where the number is the number of attempts) - or -
- Click the quiz and then from the block Administration > Quiz administration, expand 'Results' and select the analysis you need.